I am just going to preface this post saying that I am not a Daily Five expert at all, and I just don't have answers to the majority of questions that I have been asked! However, I do want to share my little Daily Five journey with you as I'm working through getting things set-up in my classroom!
We started talking about the D5 on our first day of school. I just introduced the concept of reading to self and we discussed expectations and what it would look like. On the first day I just handed each student 2 books for them to take to their read to self spot. They lasted for all of 1 1/2 minutes before their stamina was interrupted :)
By Wednesday, I had their book bins ready to go. Our school purchased these clear bins for our K-3 kiddos and thankfully they fit perfectly on my new bookshelf! Since we have not done the I-Pick lesson, or learned how to properly use my classroom library, I stocked the book bins myself. I have a cabinet full of books that just don't really "fit" into my classroom library, so I emptied that cabinet out and filled up my book bins! Each book bin has 8 books as of right now.
They are just random books of all different levels, but they are all picture books. As soon as we started using the book bins, their stamina began building like crazy! We are up to 11 minutes of reading to ourselves as of Friday! I will say that I have a pretty well-behaved class this year, so our main stamina-breaker has been wandering eyes.
Until we get to the I-Pick lesson and to using our classroom library, I am just going to rotate the books throughout the book bins. So, after school on Friday I shifted all the books to the right. I know they will be excited to see new books in their bins tomorrow! I don't want to get them into the habit of needing new books everyday, so my goal is to change out books either 1 or 2 times a week. I will keep you updated as soon as we start using the classroom library!
So, here's where we are at in a nutshell:
1. Students are choosing their spot around the room (we already have 2 areas that are off-limits because I don't have a good visual!)
2. I have not allowed students to use pillows, reading buddies (stuffed animals), or anything else that could cause distraction yet. Once we master our stamina building, I will introduce things like that slowly!
3. Students have their own book bin, and will fill them with books of their choice once we get to the I-Pick lessons.
4. We are up to 11 minutes without any interruptions! During this time I am watching the students like a hawk so that I see anything and everything they are doing :)
5. My goal is for students to use the same books for an entire week, but we may do some mid-week "shopping" if need be!
And here are my goals for this week:
1. Introduce I-Pick and Choosing Good Fit Books
2. Introduce Work on Writing and start i-chart
3. Take pictures of students who are reading to self correctly so that I can display those in the classroom!
I can't stress how important it is to actually read the Daily Five book before trying to implement this into your classroom! It is such an easy-read, and the Sisters just lay it out so nicely for you! So far, I can tell this is going to be a great fit for my class this year, and I am already happy with the results that I am seeing!